Barraza is a slow but high defense legend of Brawlhalla featuring the Blasters and Axe as his weapons. He can be unlocked for 5400 gold. Barraza is a human legend with a diesel powered heart and a steel will. He wears piecemeal armour hand-fashioned out of the scraps of an apocalyptic wasteland, and a large mask fitted with numerous tubes, which filters out the deadly mist of nanobots that created the devastated wasteland he came to dominate and rule over. Barraza is both fighter and survivor, using a fighting style equal parts brutality, cunning and stubbornness - while not the fastest Legend, he leaves a trail of devastation to demonstrate the cost of underestimating him.
The only thing in the wastelands that burns hotter than his rage is his diesel-fueled heart! - Mallhalla purchase description
- 1 Lore
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Moveset
- 4 Strategy
- 5 Skins
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Changelog
- 8 See also
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Diesel Heart, The Lord of the Waste
Barraza is the answer. Find him. Search for him in the waste. If ever he loved me he will listen. Offer him our water. Offer him our fuel. Offer him everything if he will be our king. - Chief of the Waterlords
The apocalypse came not on a missile but a mist. MBFC's self replicating nanobot cloud bricked everything that relied on computer circuitry, which in 2150 was everything. Deployed on a rogue agent's hideout, the weaponized mist was supposed to become inert after twenty minutes.
Fifty years later, Barraza was born in an abandoned aircraft carrier outside the girder wastes once called Los Angeles. Soon waterhaulers, warbangers, zealots, radsuits, wastecroppers, junkers - all came to fear the wild man they called Diesel Heart.
Shot in the chest by The Fuel Lords and left for dead, he returned, kept alive by an iron will and an artificial heart burning diesel. Soon the Fuel Lords were dead, followed by the Ravagers, the Scorpions, the Battleborn, and every other challenger until Diesel Heart ruled the wastes from Four Face Mountain to the Steel Wall.
The ultimate survivor, Barraza knows Valhalla is another threat to overcome through violence and will. The next apocalypse is coming, and he will do what it takes to come out on top again.
Take his bike and water and leave him to the crows. I never even liked her. -Barraza
Barraza wears piecemeal armour hand-fashioned out of the scraps of an apocalyptic wasteland, with spiked shoulder pads and armor plates held in place with cloth wraps, and a large gas mask fitted with numerous tubes, which filters out the deadly mist of nanobots that created the devastated wasteland he came to dominate and rule over. He also sports black fingerless gloves, white warpaint on his chest and ringing his eyes, a shocking turquoise mohawk and a single animal-canine earring in one ear. He has a large vertical scar on the side of his head, above the ear.
|Neutral||A quick double-tap at an upwards diagonal with the front blaster. Barraza's pistols give this "double tap" a large blast radius. If Barraza hits anything with one or both blasts, he follows quickly by hopping into the air and delivering a simultaneous blast in the same direction with both blasters as he falls back to the ground on his back.||This move is quite fast, and acts as a good anti-air attack. The blasts have long active frames and there is a short pause between the blasts where there are no active frames. However, the attack is very punishable and has long recovery frames. If this move is gravity cancelled, Barraza will fall back and down a significant distance after he finishes the move, so be careful.|
|Barraza steps forward, delivering a flaming sweep with his rear blaster, following through with the turn with another short step and a short, powerful blast with his front blaster. Overall carries Barraza forward a moderate distance.||This move is a slower but more powerful version of Lord Vraxx's blasters side signature. In the same fashion, it is unstoppable, so use with caution.|
|↓||A tumbling side-flip with both blasters extended. Barraza fires both blasters as he hits the ground and tumbles back up onto his feet. Strikes anything very close to Barraza - anything struck by this move is stunned and caught up as Barraza's blast knocks them up, to be struck by a powerful double blast from both blasters directly upwards.||Somewhat similar to the beginning shot of his side signature, although it hits slightly farther and the follow-up blast from the ground happens only when the first shot hits anyone. Good for the times when the side signature is too long.|
|Neutral||A lunging upwards leap with an upwards arcing, burning sweep with the axe. A target caught in the direct path of the axe's burning sweep is seized by the blade before Barraza hurls them backwards and down.||This move has a lot of force, yet it often does not guarantee a KO until the enemy has taken a lot of damage because the enemy gets bounced off the ground. The attack can kill relatively early when gravity cancelled , since the enemy gets thrown down and backwards at a deadly angle as long as they don't bounce off the stage.|
|Barraza revs his axe, cheering, and performs an immense leaping lunge forward. At the apex of the leap, Barraza performs a double-turn in the air, delivering two short, powerful downward chops with the axe as he moves through the air.||This attack does not hit anyone directly in front of Barraza, and somewhat resembles Sentinel's Hammer Side Signature.|
|↓||Barraza performs a short hop backwards before bringing his axe smashing down against the ground where he was standing just a moment ago. There is a quick pause between the hop and the axe smash. The blast of the axe striking the earth hits low but has a wide splash radius.||Very similar to Ragnir’s Forward signature. However, this attack allows Barraza to retreat and hits at his original position rather than in front of him, making it a good move for defense rather than offense.|
|Name||Inputs||What it's useful for||Damage||Stun||Other notes||Example video(s)|
Axe The axe has massive hitboxes and strong aerial moves. The axe has a relatively large amount of force with most of its attacks and can KO quite early. However, they are not as effective as guns at racking up damage.
Blasters The blasters can build up damage very quickly, especially with Barraza's 6 strength. They are very good if you can space correctly but they have hardly any knock out moves. The only ways guns can get kills is with a recovery, a ground pound off-stage, a side air at very low health, and, of course, signatures. Therefore, the axe is often a better option for knockouts.
Use of Signatures
Matchup strategy against specific Weapons
- To add strategy text for a Weapon when editing, simply add the name of the weapon after a "|" within the Template brackets on a new line, followed by " = " and then your text (ex: |Spear = Watch out for the ground pound!). If text already exists, use the existing field.
Matchup strategy against specific Legends
- To add strategy text for a Legend when editing, simply add the name of the Legend after a "|" within the Template brackets on a new line, followed by " = " and then your text (ex: |Cassidy = Watch out for her down sig!). If text already exists, use the existing field.
- For a breakdown of level requirements for colors by legend, see Progression. For Legend Skin color variations, see individual Skin pages, above.
| Classic Colors
Unlock at Level 2
Unlock at Level 5
Unlock at Level 10
Unlock at Level 12
Unlock at Level 14
Unlock at Level 16
Unlock at Level 18
Unlock at Level 20
Price: 10000 Gold
(Requires Level 10)
Price: 25000 Gold
(Requires Level 25)
Available only from devs for
contributing to the community.
Price: 2500 Glory
(Requires Level 5)
Price: 1500 Gold
(Only during Valhallentine's)
Price: 1500 Gold
(Only during Summer Heatwave)
| Home Team
Price: 3000 Gold
(Only during Back To School)
Price: 3000 Gold
(Only during Brawlhalloween)
| Winter Holiday|
Price: 1500 Gold
(Only during Brawlidays)
- Barraza's default weapons are named El Carnicero (axe) and Los Volcanes (blasters), which translate to "The Butcher" and "The Volcanoes" in Spanish.
- Barraza's bot name is Barrobot.
- MBFC, the corporation that released the tech-killing mist in Barraza's lore, is presumably the same corporation that trained and then fought against Ada in her lore, and built and subsequently lost control of Val in her lore. Its full name is the Meyers Baby Food Corporation.
- Lore aside, Barraza's post-apocalyptic dystopian dieselpunk style is an homage to the Mad Max series of films.
- Barazza was introduced to the game October 20, 2015.
- For changes that applied to weapons rather than individual Legends, see individual Weapon pages.
|Click to see changes to this Legend ->|
|2.77.0||The following Signatures have all received adjustments to their speed bonuses gained when performed from a dash or chase dodge. They have been brought in line with other comparable Signature attacks:|
• Barraza Neutral Blasters
|2.67.0||Barraza has received a quality of life improvement for his Neutral Blasters. Previously, the backward roll from his final shot resulted in a rather large descent when used as a Gravity Cancel, or done with his back towards an edge. We have adjusted how this ending behaves resulting in less of a vertical drop, leaving Barraza in a better position for easier recovery back to the stage.|
• Barraza Neutral Blasters: Decreased vertical drop after mid-air hits, such as Gravity Cancels.
|2.61.0||We have pushed the risk/reward more in favor of the user by reducing the Recovery Time, given this attack’s already lengthy active portion that, while useful, can result in being overly punishable.|
• Barraza Neutral Blasters: Decreased Recovery Time on miss from 10 Fixed to 8 Fixed.
|2.52.0||Increased travel speed to push the effective threat farther forward and make the Signature harder to outrun.|
• Barraza Side Blasters – Slightly increased travel speed throughout the power duration.
|2.50.0||We have given a boost to the utility in both of Barraza’s kits, with the Blasters receiving a faster rotation to other options after a Neutral Signature, while the Side Axe has been given an increase in travel speed to better fit the current pace of the game.|
• Barraza Neutral Blasters: Decreased Recovery on miss from 11 Fixed to 10 Fixed.
• Barraza Side Axe: Slightly Increased initial travel speed during the leap.
|2.41.0||Barraza’s Side Blasters had a rather lengthy Time to Hit, so it has received a Decrease in Minimum Charge for greater ease of use.|
• Barraza Side Blasters: Decreased Minimum Charge from 9 to 8.
|2.38.0||Barraza’s Side Axe needed a bit less recovery to balance against its long active frames.|
• Barraza Side Axe: Decreased Fixed Recover time from 17 to 16.
|2.33.0||Barraza’s Down Axe felt too lengthy in total Time to Hit for its modest range, so we are decreasing the Minimum Charge Time for a quicker response.|
• Barraza Down Axe: Decreased Minimum Charge Time from 8 to 6.
|2.17.1||• Barraza Side Blasters: Fixed some cases where target could be dropped before the final hit.|
|2.13.1||• Fixed incorrect colors on Barraza's base and Toxic hands.|
|2.12.3||While Barraza has roughly a 50% winrate at lower ranks and the ongoing changes to improve stun advantage for low Dexterity characters should have a larger impact on his performance at high levels, these changes should help reward the high commitment of his side signatures in situations where they won’t be lethal.|
• Barraza Side Axe: Increased Damage From 20 to 25.
• Barraza Side Blasters: Increased Damage from 28 to 32; Increased Cooldown Time from 0 to 7.
|2.12.0||Barraza's Side Blasters have one of the largest startup times of any signature, without the extra advantages of comparatively slow attacks.|
• Barraza Side Blasters: Decreased Time to Hit from 27 to 22.
|2.9.0||In our last set of balance changes, we didn't give Barraza enough buffs to compensate for what he lost. These changes to some of his weaker signatures should help a little.|
• Barraza Neutral Blasters: Decreased Recover Time on Miss from 25 to 20; Increased Damage from 25 to 29.
• Barraza Down Axe: Increased initial movement speed of backward leap from 65 to 72 and decreased its duration from 12 to 9; Decreased Time to Hit from 26 to 21.
• Barraza Neutral Blasters: Fixed some cases where target could be dropped before the final hit.
• Barraza Down Blasters: Fixed some cases where target could be dropped before the final hit. (Credit Dobrein)
|2.8.0||Barraza's performance is highly variant depending on where you are in the ladder. At high ranks, he seems fine. At low ranks, he's underperforming. And in between, he's a little too strong. We're shifting power from one of his strongest signatures to one of his weakest.|
• Barraza Side Axe: Increased Recover Time when landing from 23 to 27.
• Barraza Neutral Blasters: Decreased Time to Hit from 15 to 13.
|2.4.0||Barraza's signatures can feel a little weak and slow. We're making him hit a little harder and speeding up some especially long Recover Times on his Down Sig.|
• Barraza Axe Neutral: Increased Variable Force from 49 to 52; Decreased Fixed Force from 65 to 63.
• Barraza Down Blasters: Reduced Recover Time on Hit from 43 to 35; Reduced Recover Time on Miss from 30 to 25; Increased Variable Force from 54 to 57.
|2.3.2||• Barraza Side Blasters: Fixed a case where target could be dropped before the final hit.|
|2.3.1||Barraza can be pretty effective in the right hands, but he's a rare sight at all levels of play. We're nudging a couple of his signatures to make him a little more appealing.|
• Barraza Side Axe: Decreased Time to Hit from 26 to 24.
• Barraza Down Blasters: Decreased Time to Hit from 17 to 15.
• Barraza Neutral Blasters: Fixed a case where target could be dropped before the final hit.
|2.1.0||Barraza needed a little extra kick in his fuel. The Down Axe is generally considered his most situational move, so we added a little more reward.|
• Barraza Down Axe: Increased Force.
• Barraza Side Blasters: Fixed a case where target could be dropped before the final hit. (credit Simponn)
|2.0.0||• Fixed a bug where Recover Time on Barraza Side Axe could be longer than intended when jumping from a higher platform to a lower one.|
• Fixed some issues where Stats inconsistently affected certain powers, especially on Barraza.
|1.20.1||• Barraza is added to the roster!|
|LEGENDS OF BRAWLHALLA|
| Bödvar • Cassidy • Orion • Lord Vraxx • Gnash • Queen Nai • Hattori |
Sir Roland • Scarlet • Thatch • Ada • Sentinel • Lucien • Teros
Brynn • Asuri • Barraza • Ember • Azoth • Koji • Ulgrim
Diana • Jhala • Kor • Wu Shang • Val • Ragnir • Cross
Mirage • Nix • Mordex • Yumiko • Artemis • Caspian • Sidra