Koji is a balanced, high dexterity wandering samurai legend of Brawlhalla who uses the Sword and Bow as his weapons. He can be unlocked for 5400 gold. Koji wears clothes typical of a Samuria, including a Shitagi robe and zubon trousers. His black hair is drawn out of the way high on the head, and he nonchalantly and continually chews on a grass straw while demonstrating his epic samurai talents. With a strong sense of ancestry, Koji bears a noble and powerful family name - almost as powerful as the sword that he wields, nicknamed the 'Demon Slaying Sword' for good reason.
One man and the blade of his ancestors against a corrupt empire. You know, basic samurai stuff. - Mallhalla purchase description
The Wanderer, Honor's Blade
For years we knew him in every back alley and gambling house across the empire. Disarmingly humble, a good gambler, only a few of us could see the fierce purpose in his eyes. - Katsu the Blind
As the second son Koji knew he would never take over his father's school or inherit the coveted family sword. Instead he spent his days determined to create his own technique, one without a silly made up name.
Change came quickly. Fearful of "The School of the Demon Slaying Sword," a corrupt Shogun decreed Koji's father and all his students be killed. To save their legacy, Koji was ordered to take the ancestral katana and flee, keeping it safe at all costs.
After many patient and careful years he was ready to reclaim his honor. In an audience with the Shogun he revealed his name and petitioned to reinstate his family's place. The twisted Shogun only laughed. Knowing his fate was sealed, Koji leapt across the hall and cut him down. The stunned chamber guards fell next.
As Koji caught his breath, the palace alarm sounded. A slight man with red eyes rose from the shadows. Introducing himself as a fellow second son, the brother of Kagima offered Koji power untold and a way out. All he needed to do was part with the blade. Koji examined the sword, remembering the stories his father told him as a child. He smiled thinly.
When the 3,000 guards entered the chamber they found the demon's head lying on the floor and Koji rushing towards them sword in hand, boldly carving his path to Valhalla.
Well, I killed her demon husband. So...it's complicated. - Koji, when asked about the ninja Hattori
Being the second Japanese themed in Brawlhalla, Koji appearance reflects his wandering Samurai, or Ronin, style. He wears a typical blue Japanese shitagi, a short Japanese gown, along with an unbound, gray zubon - a Samurai's long trousers. A white himo rope binds his sleeves tightly against his shoulders, allowing him a full range of motion, and an uwa-obi cloth belt hangs only loosely around his waist, also white. On his wrists are tightly bound cloth straps, which are brown in colour. His straight black hair is drawn out of the way high on the head, and he nonchalantly and continually chews on a grass straw while demonstrating his epic samurai talents.
|Neutral||Koji delivers three rapid cuts at an upwards angle in quick succession. Striking with any of these stuns the enemy and forces them to take any subsequent cuts, and results in a fourth final, lightning fast cut that propels the enemy up and back, away.||A potent aerial cover attack, the move hits far enough out as to make most direct approaches tricky, and its duration makes aggressive dodge-ins a less promising prospect. This signature also hits opponents standing close to, but not on top of Koji, and is the only signature that does so. Be warned that the duration of the move - especially when it has struck an opponent - is fixed, which can leave you vulnerable in group combats such as FFA or 2v2, and if you are interrupted before the final blow can be struck, your opponent will not be launched.|
|Koji steps forward into a short ranged horizontal cut with his sword, then follows by stepping again into a short ranged downwards overhead cut. This move charges after the horizontal cut.||Short ranged but powerful, this is Koji's bread-and-butter sword move, good for both building damage and knocking out opponents. Generally, hitting with the first cut will allow you to hit with the second. However, this move charges after the first cut, allowing you to essentially pause mid-move in order to catch an opponent off-guard if they were able to avoid the first and are anticipating a quick followup.|
|↓||Koji marks a spot far, far ahead of him with a winking mote of light, then in an instant, dashes across the space and delivers a powerful but extremely short ranged horizontal cut where he had marked.||While it looks like Koji simply moves very fast from where he is standing to where he marked, the game actually teleports him (and his hurtbox) from one point to another, and any attacks made on the space between will miss. Naturally, this move covers a long distance, though it has a noticeable cooldown, making it easy to punish if it misses.|
|Neutral||Koji nocks a single blue flaming arrow and fires it straight up while standing in place.||This move reaches far above Koji, allowing it to outrange almost all incoming ground-pound moves - though it has a slight startup time and puts you directly in a ground pound's path if you miss, making anticipation necessary to use it effectively. The move also follows a ground down-light attack reasonably reliably. However, it does not hit any stacked opponents on the ground anymore.|
|A quick forward roll is followed by a single flaming arrow shot fired straight ahead. This move has approximately the same range as Koji's neutral sig, but forward instead of up.||A reliable bread-and-butter type of move, the attack's horizontal launch trajectory makes it a reasonable threat to opponents even at yellow health, and the roll can put Koji immediately closer to an opponent, while also ducking under any moves that would hit at head height. Like his Sword Side signature, this move charges in the middle, after the roll is completed.|
|↓||SURPRISE! Koji drives his foot into the ground, kicking a previously unseen plank up from the ground in front of him (no matter what he happens to be standing on at the time, including nothing), which whips upwards. If an opponent is caught by this plank, they are knocked up into the air and Koji follows with a diagonal shot that launches the opponent at an upwards 45 degree angle away.||Potentially Koji's most dangerous bow attack, this move covers a wide range in front of Koji (including stacked opponents) and can be difficult to dodge through or respond to directly. It only hits in front or on top of Koji however, making it ineffective against approaches from above or below.|
|Weapon||Inputs||What it's useful for||Damage||Stun||Other notes||Example video(s)|
Use of Signatures
Matchup strategy against specific Weapons
- To add strategy text for a Weapon when editing, simply add the name of the weapon after a "|" within the Template brackets on a new line, followed by " = " and then your text (ex: |Spear = Watch out for the ground pound!). If text already exists, use the existing field.
Matchup strategy against specific Legends
- To add strategy text for a Legend when editing, simply add the name of the Legend after a "|" within the Template brackets on a new line, followed by " = " and then your text (ex: |Cassidy = Watch out for her down sig!). If text already exists, use the existing field.
- For a breakdown of level requirements for colors by legend, see Progression. For Legend Skin color variations, see individual Skin pages, above.
| Classic Colors
Unlock at Level 2
Unlock at Level 5
Unlock at Level 10
Unlock at Level 12
Unlock at Level 14
Unlock at Level 16
Unlock at Level 18
Unlock at Level 20
Price: 10000 Gold
(Requires Level 10)
Price: 25000 Gold
(Requires Level 25)
Available only from devs for
contributing to the community.
Price: 2500 Glory
(Requires Level 5)
Price: 1500 Gold
(Only during Valhallentine's)
| Lucky Clover
Price: 1500 Gold
(Only during St. Patrick's Day)
Price: 1500 Gold
(Only during Summer Heatwave)
| Home Team|
Price: 3000 Gold
(Only during Back To School)
Price: 3000 Gold
(Only during Brawlhalloween)
| Winter Holiday|
Price: 1500 Gold
(Only during Brawlhallidays)
- Koji's weapons are the Yumi (bow) and the Ancestral Blade (sword).
- Koji's bot name is Mechoji.
- Koji is the second Japanese-themed Legend to be introduced into the game, the first being Hattori.
- Koji and Hattori existed during the same time period, and are acquainted prior to Valhalla due to his killing of her demon husband.
- Koji's death is also the second time a Legend's death and ascension to Valhalla have been openly hinted at, the first being Sir Roland.
- For changes that applied to Legends rather than individual Weapons, see individual Legend pages.
|Click to see changes to this Legend ->|
|2.71.0||As the pace of Brawlhalla has increased, Koji’s Down Sword has been trailing behind, with the risk being greater than the utility of its distance. We have made the attack faster to execute, as well as decreased the risk to better suit the current pace of combat.|
• Down Sword: Decreased Minimum Charge from 11 to 10; Decreased Recover time from 24 Fixed to 21 Fixed.
|2.67.0||Koji’s Down Sword comes with a fairly long Time to Hit and generally low reward. Although slightly offset by its healthy range, this Signature has felt a bit underwhelming in reward and ease of use. We have made it slightly faster with a moderate increase in damage to reward those with a practiced hand.|
• Koji Down Sword: Decreased Minimum Charge time from 12 to 11; Increased Damage from 24 to 26.
|2.50.0||Koji has a great set of Bow Signatures, however his Sword kit has proven to be less desirable. We have increased both the ease of use and the reward for his Down Sword given its more visibly telegraphed nature.|
• Koji Down Sword: Increased Damage from 21 to 24; Increased Force from 51 Variable/65 Fixed to 53 Variable/65 Fixed; Increased Stun from 21 to 22; Decreased Recovery from 25 Fixed to 24 Fixed.
|2.41.0||Koji’s Down Sword is a highly telegraphed attack, which can make it difficult to use in combat. We have Decreased the Minimum Charge for greater use as a surprise attack.|
• Koji Down Sword: Decreased Minimum Charge from 13 to 12.
|2.33.0||Koji’s Bow Signature attacks all serve a purpose in the kit, however they overlapped each other for the ability to hit stacked opponents. We have left the Down Signature as his stacked attack option, while the Neutral Bow and Side Bow now require a bit of separation between the user and the target.|
• Koji Neutral Bow: Increased Fixed Recovery from 17 to 19; Removed stacked hitboxing so the attack will no longer hit grounded opponents.
• Koji Side Bow: Decreased Variable Force from 51 to 50; Decreased Fixed Force from 75 to 73; Decreased hitbox coverage toward the rear of the attack.
|2.29.0||• Fixed a bug where stance changes affected certain signatures more than intended: Koji Neutral Bow, Koji Side Bow.|
Koji’s Down Bow was a bit too difficult to punish on Miss, so we have Increased the Recovery Time, and shifted some of that power to the Down Sword in the form of slightly faster Time to Hit.
• Koji Down Bow: Increased Fixed Recovery from 15 to 22
• Koji Down Sword: Decreased Minimum Charge from 15 to 13.
|2.20.0||Koji’s Side Bow has received a slight decrease to its Variable Force, given its excellent direction of knockback and range. The Down Sword has received updated hitboxing, resulting in slightly increased forward reach and slightly less reach behind him.|
• Koji Side Bow: Decreased Variable Force from 53 to 51.
• Koji Down Sword: Adjusted hitboxes to better match the animation.
• Koji Down Sword: Updated Hurtboxes to better follow animation.
|2.14.0||• Tweaked a shoulder in Koji's character select animation so that it would connect with his arm better in his Tengu skin|
|2.10.0||• Koji Side Bow: Increased movement speed during charge from 65 to a range between 65 and 80 when dodge canceled.|
• Koji Down Bow: Increased movement speed during charge from a range between -108 and 30 to a range between -108 and 50 when dodge canceled.
• Koji Side Sword: Increased movement speed during charge from 40 to a range between 40 and 60 when dodge canceled.
• Koji Side Sword: Adjusted behavior when slid off of a ledge to prevent some drop cases.
|2.9.0||• Fixed bug causing Koji's portrait to not show up in the daily missions tab.|
We've gotten a lot of requests to shift power from Koji's Bow to his Sword. We're shifting some of the punishingly long recover from his teleport to his Side Bow.
• Koji Side Bow: Increased Recover Time from 18 to 22.
• Koji Down Sword: Decreased Recover Time from 30 to 25.
|2.8.0||• Koji’s Lore has been added.|
• Fixed color swap issue with Ronin Koji's sandals. (Credit: Brodie Fecht)
|2.7.0||• Koji The Samurai Has Entered Brawlhalla!|
|LEGENDS OF BRAWLHALLA|
| Bödvar • Cassidy • Orion • Lord Vraxx • Gnash • Queen Nai • Hattori |
Sir Roland • Scarlet • Thatch • Ada • Sentinel • Lucien • Teros
Brynn • Asuri • Barraza • Ember • Azoth • Koji • Ulgrim
Diana • Jhala • Kor • Wu Shang • Val • Ragnir • Cross
Mirage • Nix • Mordex • Yumiko • Artemis • Caspian • Sidra
Xull • Kaya • Isaiah