Roland is a very defensive Arthurian knight legend of Brawlhalla, featuring the Sword and Rocket Lance as his weaponns. He can be unlocked for 5400 gold. Roland, amongst other things, is one of his kingdom's greatest knights, one the world's most charming men, and one the owner of one of history's most legendary and splendid beards. He wears full knight's armour (save the helmet, of course) of glinting steel, including a powerful griffin emblazoned on his chest piece. Roland brings his hardened physique, excellent armor and knightly experience to become one the eternal's tounament's greatest and most resilient legends.
An unstoppable knight with a beard so magnificent, even the gods took notice. - Mallhalla purchase description
- 1 Lore
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Moveset
- 4 Strategy
- 5 Skins
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Changelog
- 8 See also
- 9 External links
- 10 References
The Scarlet Lion
"Have pity. Not all men thrust to center stage find they have the heart of Roland, nor the soul to do great deeds." - Shakespeare, Henry IV part 3 (lost manuscript)
As a young knight, bold Sir Roland vanquished the fabled Jade Knight, and for a brief moment his eyes pierced the veil between worlds. He beheld the Valkyrie Hypernia as she lifted up his defeated foe. Overcome by her beauty, Roland dedicated his life to gaining glory in hopes of seeing the Valkyrie again.
For the next fifty years, the proud, bullheaded and charming Roland won more victories, made more enemies and broke more hearts than any knight of his time. His single-handed storming of the Fortress of Alsburg inspired forty-seven epic ballads and a Lifetime miniseries. Bards wrote songs about the song he wrote commemorating his victory over the Bilious Fire Drake.
As an old man on his deathbed, Roland finally beheld Hypernia again. She could not allow a natural death to keep such a warrior from Valhalla, so, with a ghost of a smile, she punched him herself so he could die in battle and she could offer him a seat in the hall of glory.
No one in Valhalla feels a greater thirst for victory in the tournament than Sir Roland. He rejoices with every win and rages at every loss.
"How's my hair?" - Lord Sir Roland Somerset Montgomery, Duke of the Three Isles, Lord of Havershant, Slayer of the Bilious Dragon, Protector of the Illythians, Victor of the Siege of Alsburg, Haver of a Great Beard, Defender of the Danes, Conqueror of Guilardia, Prince of the Glorious Summer of '14, Knight of the Order of the Exalted Lion, Honorary Abbott of Canterbury Cathedral, Champion of the City of Bath, Marshall of the Eastlands, Knight of the Crimson Buckle, Admiral of the Northern Seas, etc.
Sir Roland is the owner of the greatest beard to be bestowed upon man, woman or beast of both his era, and arguably of all time. Aside from this marvel of human achievement, Sir Roland is clad in the full armour of a knight in glinting steel (save for the helmet, of course), with a Griffin rampant symbol emblazoned on his chest piece. His hair, also magnificently groomed, and beard (did we mention the beard?) are a colourful, fiery ginger, whereas the rest of his body is covered by the silver of steel, or the yellow griffin insignia. Roland fights with a typical knights weaponry - the lance (modernised to a Rocket Lance) and Sword. Each are made of steel, although whereas his Long Sword has a shining silver glint to its blade, the lance has a darker, colour. Both are gilt in gold at the handles, and have small and simplistic, yet elegant, decorations to them. The sword, for example, has a small diamond shaped bulge near the hilt of the sword, and the rocket lance has a spiraling colour at its head, and a latticed effect at the other end.
|Neutral||A fast diagonal upwards strike with the sword, fuming with light energy.||Has appreciable range and speed, and can catch standing targets that are very close, though is generally much more reliable when used to counter aerial approaches. Outranges most diagonal aerial approaches, except perhaps the bow.|
|A short-ranged downwards chop followed by a much longer ranged stab straight ahead.||The initial chop can hit very close opponents, while the stab has reach enough to catch those farther away. Will generally keep Roland safe from frontal approaches, although you need to get close to deal significant damage, as the first hit with the chop will guarantee a hit with the second stab.|
|↓||Roland thrusts his sword point-first into the ground, causing four tall blades of light to erupt from the ground in front of him in a row. Has a long cooldown period.||Has enough height and reach to be useful in many situations, though it should be used judiciously due to its long cooldown.|
|Neutral||Roland leaps up and slightly back into the air, and buoyed on a horsehead of light, performs a short charge forward. Anything hit by Roland or by the horsehead will be struck.||The horse charge is vertically broad and lingers longer than many players expect, making it an effective counter to aerial approaches, even if that may seem unintuitive at first.|
|Roland does a short charge forward, then follows this charge with an upwards diagonal thrust. Anything struck by the charge is guaranteed to be struck by the upwards thrust and thrown back up into the air.||The shortest lance charge in the game (unless you count Ulgrim's side signature to be a charging attack), though Roland makes up for it with the followup blow.|
|↓||Roland draws back the lance, surrounding himself in a knightly aura (literally in the form of an aura in the shape of a large armored knight), then brings the lance stabbing forward. The light extends the reach of the lance forward even further than any lance could possibly reach.||Executes quickly and has a long horizontal reach, making it effective for catching and interrupting ground-bound opponents. Since Sir Roland doesn’t move from his position during the stab, it is an excellent move when you need to avoid putting yourself in harm’s way.|
|Weapon||Inputs||What it's useful for||Damage||Stun||Other notes||Example video(s)|
Use of Signatures
Matchup strategy against specific Weapons
- To add strategy text for a Weapon when editing, simply add the name of the weapon after a "|" within the Template brackets on a new line, followed by " = " and then your text (ex: |Spear = Watch out for the ground pound!). If text already exists, use the existing field.
Matchup strategy against specific Legends
- To add strategy text for a Legend when editing, simply add the name of the Legend after a "|" within the Template brackets on a new line, followed by " = " and then your text (ex: |Cassidy = Watch out for her down sig!). If text already exists, use the existing field.
- For a breakdown of level requirements for colors by legend, see Progression. For Legend Skin color variations, see individual Skin pages, above.
- Sir Roland's default weapons are the Tourney Lance (rocket lance) and the Long Sword (sword).
- Sir Roland's bot name is Sir Rolbot.
- Many interpretations of the lore place Sir Roland as the father of Brynn.
- Some of Sir Roland's decorative skins leave him without his beard. Interestingly we then see his chin, which is just as impressively large.
- The quote attributed to Shakespeare regarding Roland isn't written in iambic pentameter, historically Shakespeare's most common writing style. Some reasonably suggest that perhaps Shakespeare was distracted by Sir Roland's marvelous beard.
- For changes that applied to weapons rather than individual Legends, see individual Weapon pages.
|Click to see changes to this Legend ->|
|2.39.0||Sir Roland’s Neutral Lance has been reduced in overall duration in the form of slightly reduced Minimum Charge time and slightly reduced Fixed Recovery. Mount up and charge into battle!|
• Sir Roland Neutral Lance: Decreased Minimum Charge time from 5 to 4; Decreased Fixed Recovery from 15 to 14.
|2.33.0||Much like Kor’s Down Gauntlets, Sir Roland’s Down Signature was rather safe, so we are bumping the recovery time up slightly.|
• Sir Roland Down Sword: Increased Fixed Recovery from 15 to 16.
|2.25.0||We are shifting some Force from Roland’s overly strong Side Sword into his relatively weak Down Sword to bring both in line with other similar Signature attacks.|
• Sir Roland Side Sword: Decreased Variable Force from 56 to 54.
• Sir Roland Down Sword: Increased Variable Force from 47 to 48.
|2.18.0||Sir Roland has received a number of hitbox adjustments to better match his animations. Users may find an increase in range due to these changes, so we’ve decreased the Variable Force on the Down Lance to compensate.|
• Roland Side Lance: Rehitboxed to match animation; Adjusted animation timing to match the hit window of the initial charge.
• Roland Down Lance: Rehitboxed to match animation; Decreased Variable Force from 62 to 58.
• Roland Down Sword: Rehitboxed to match animation.
• Fixed an issue keeping Roland The Hooded’s Rocket Lance from color swapping correctly during some moves.
|2.14.0||Roland's Side Sword is getting a small bump to its short Recover Time.|
• Roland Side Sword: Increased Recover Time from 13 to 14.
|1.17.0||Similarly, Roland's sword play seems to overuse his Side Signature. By slowing it down slightly and repurposing his Down Signature into a faster, weaker attack, we're hoping to create more situations where his other Sword Sigs are the better choice. |
• Roland Neutral Sword: Slightly decreased Time to Hit.
• Roland Side Sword: Slightly increased Time to Hit.
• Roland Down Sword: Decreased Time to Hit; Slightly Reduced Damage and Force.
|1.14.0||• Roland Lance Down: Slightly decreased Time to Hit; Increased Damage.
• Roland Lance Neutral: Slightly decreased Time to Hit; Increased Damage and Force.
|1.10.1||• Hattori and Roland now have unique powers for all Heavy Ground attacks with both weapons.|
|1.7.2||• Roland Sword Special: Increased AoE size to better match animation. Increased minimum charge time. Decreased Force.|
|1.1.0||• Sir Roland has been added to the roster!|
|LEGENDS OF BRAWLHALLA|
| Bödvar • Cassidy • Orion • Lord Vraxx • Gnash • Queen Nai • Hattori |
Sir Roland • Scarlet • Thatch • Ada • Sentinel • Lucien • Teros
Brynn • Asuri • Barraza • Ember • Azoth • Koji • Ulgrim
Diana • Jhala • Kor • Wu Shang • Val • Ragnir • Cross
Mirage • Nix • Mordex • Yumiko • Artemis