Thatch is a fast and strong, but low defense, swash-buckling pirate Legend featuring the Sword and Blasters as his weapons. He can be unlocked for 3900 gold. Unsurprisingly, pirate Thatch wears very a typical pirate's outfit, predominantly blood red in colour, and shows off an enormous pirate's hat and beard. Completely thrilled by Valhalla's eternal tournament, and the simple fact that they let him play with explosives, Thatch's thirst for chaos is never quenched.
How many pirates does it take to set an archipelago on fire? Thatch. - Mallhalla purchase description
- 1 Lore
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Moveset
- 4 Strategy
- 5 Skins
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Changelog
- 8 See also
- 9 External links
- 10 References
The Madman of Barbados
"An old sea shanty tells the tale of a buccaneer who went mad drinking gunpowder and grog. Every time he sailed into battle, he'd set his own ships aflame so there could be no retreat. I forget how it goes, but the chorus includes the phrase "high turnover rate."-Oldish Pete propietor of The Anchor and Pistol.
Thatch won his ship from the devil with the devil's own double-headed coin, and aboard it he wreaked more havoc than any pirate before or since. His love of black powder and obsession with setting the world aflame combined to sink hundreds of ships, sack dozens of ports, and prematurely erupt at least two volcanoes.
Thatch's ship had so many ghosts, they haunted in shifts. He plays his favorite drinking game, "Drink every time Thatch has a beard." He claims to be married to the sea, and has a marriage license to prove it. He has a face only a mother could love if he hadn't made her walk the plank.
For thatch, the Tournament is a paradise of chaos and fire, but even that doesn't slake his thirst for mayhem. He aids in Vraxx's schemes to conquer Valhalla out of sheer bloody-mindedness, and when bored will lay deadly traps he calls 'pranks' for his fellow Legends. He sneaks out at night to dig holes, knowing the gods must have buried treasure somewhere.
"Ye call this grog? I can still feel me face."-Thatch, to a stuffed deer head over the bar
Being a pirate, Thatch wears very a typical outfit for his “line of work” – trousers and a loose-fitting shirt with tasseled shoulder pads that only joins at the waist and shows his bare chest. Unsurprisingly, apart from the light-blue trousers, all of his clothing is bloody red – and which of it is real blood and which is dye is a tough question to answer. This colour matches his three-pointed and notably big pirate's hat, which displays a skull emblem on the front. All of his clothing is torn and slashed and barely held together by ragged stitching in many places, having survived a plethora of swashbuckling like the rough-and-ready Madman of Barbados himself. To complete his sea-faring attire, Thatch has a typical pirate's beard so unbelievably scruffy and unkempt that it somehow manages to reach even higher than his eyebrows – which are equally untidy. His tattered face also shows the maniacal grin of one who adores mayhem, and displays a single golden tooth in his gnarled facial features.
The Hand Cannons
|Neutral||A circling shark builds up to this tremendous upwards slash, throwing water upwards in an arc from the ground, and hitting everything in front and above in front of Thatch.||Thatch's slowest, but arguably most powerful sword signature, it makes up for its slow startup and long recovery with its tremendous hit area, force and damage. Cover the approaches, punish the incautious, and shiver your timbers.|
|Clear the decks! After a short delay, Thatch makes two rapid, forward running slashes, one sweeping up followed quickly by another stronger, wider slash sweeping down.||The attack has a slight delay right in the beginning, but the arcs of these two slashes are wide. Like many side signatures, the attack carries Thatch forward, allowing this move to aggressively cover a lot of ground extremely quickly. Useful for keeping pressure on, but requires good timing due to its delay in the beginning.|
|↓||A close, defensive sideways slash that carries Thatch back slightly, followed by another slightly wider slash in the same location.||This move hits everything standing too close to Thatch and even slightly behind him, giving it defensive versatility. It starts up faster yet hits slower than the side signature. Thatch also moves back during this move, allowing you to dodge certain incoming attacks and immediately riposte.|
|Neutral||Two quick, short blunderbuss-style blasts from Thatch's blasters, one after another. The second blast is much larger, and both blasts carry Thatch back a small step.||A relatively quick move, this signature is useful both aggressively (to catch opponents off guard with its speed) and defensively (to respond to incoming approaches). The larger second blast allows the attack to hit the same space as the first both times, even as Thatch moves back with each shot, allowing Thatch to keep the heat on while retreating. Unlike most Neutral Signature attacks, this one is useless as an anti-air – you have the cannonballs for that!|
|Thatch lets loose with both barrels of his pistols simultaneously, hitting everything directly in front with a single spraying blast.||The double-barrel attack, as to be expected, packs tremendous force and damage and covers a good area in front as well, but it has a buildup time that makes it hazardous to use on the fly. Best used when Thatch is in a position to punish an incautious or stunned opponent, or to finish off a combo.|
|↓||BROADSIDES! Thatch sends a volley of two large cannonballs, which travel in a long arc forward and explode against any opponent or surface in the way. They travel forward and then down slightly before exploding if there is no platform in the way.||Arguably Thatch's most useful signature, the cannonballs cover a wide arc of space, and the staggered placement means that portions under the arc are covered as well. The staggered timing also makes it difficult to dodge the attack, often forcing an opponent to go over or under rather than through it. At close range or with the correct positioning, it is possible to hit with both cannonballs, which deals a tremendous amount of damage and force. Beyond a certain distance or against aerial opponents, Thatch's best move with the blasters is going to be to send cannons.|
|Name||Inputs||What it's useful for||Damage||Stun||Other notes||Example video(s)|
Use of Signatures
Matchup strategy against specific Weapons
- To add strategy text for a Weapon when editing, simply add the name of the weapon after a "|" within the Template brackets on a new line, followed by " = " and then your text (ex: |Spear = Watch out for the ground pound!). If text already exists, use the existing field.
Matchup strategy against specific Legends
- To add strategy text for a Legend when editing, simply add the name of the Legend after a "|" within the Template brackets on a new line, followed by " = " and then your text (ex: |Cassidy = Watch out for her down sig!). If text already exists, use the existing field.
- For a breakdown of level requirements for colors by legend, see Progression. For Legend Skin color variations, see individual Skin pages, above.
- Thatch's default weapons are the Boarding Cutlass (sword) and the Hand Cannons (blasters).
- Thatch's bot name is Thatchomaton.
- Most definitely a reference to notorious and well-known early 18th-century pirate Blackbeard, whose real name was Edward Teach, or Edward Thatch.
- It is mentioned in Thatch's lore that he joins Lord Vraxx in attempts to conquer Valhalla, although mostly for the chaos and mayhem, rather than any domination.
- For changes that applied to weapons rather than individual Legends, see individual Weapon pages.
|Click to see changes to this Legend ->|
|2.39.0||Thatch’s Down Blasters is a relatively slow Signature, however it is now quicker to fire with a reduced Minimum Charge time, making it easier to work this attack into the tides of battle.|
• Thatch Down Blasters: Decreased Minimum Charge time from 16 to 13.
|2.38.0||With multiple chase dodges as an option, Thatch’s Neutral Blasters is no longer as powerful as it used to be. These changes bring it back up to speed with current mechanics.|
• Thatch Neutral Blasters: Decreased Fixed Recover time from 27 to 23; Decreased Minimum Charge time from 14 to 12.
|2.33.0||The shot on Thatch’s Side Blasters starts close before blooming outward, resulting in a slightly longer lead-in than other Signatures, so we are speeding it up for more ease of use.|
• Thatch Side Blasters: Decreased Minimum Charge Time from 16 to 14.
|2.29.0||Thatch’s Side Sword can feel great to land, but missing felt very stiff, so we have slightly reduced the Recovery Time.|
• Thatch Side Sword: Decreased Fixed Recovery from 24 to 22.
|2.23.0||Thatch’s Side Blasters has not seen much use during play, as it has a slightly longer than average Time to Hit with a medium amount of horizontal range. We are decreasing the Minimum Charge for a slightly faster Time to Hit.|
• Thatch Side Blasters: Decreased Minimum Charge from 18 to 16.
|2.20.0||• Added color conflict for base color and Heatwave for: Orion, Metadev Orion, Gnash, Team Spirit Gnash, Snake Goddess Nai, Castaway Thatch, and Cinderguard Brynn to avoid in game confusion.|
|2.16.0||While we're careful to keep Thatch's ability to create cannonballs in check, the startup time of his Down Blasters was oppressively long and has been decreased.|
• Thatch Down Blasters: Decreased Time to Hit from 32 to 29.
|2.13.1||Thatch's Neutral Blasters leads off with a very small, precise Hitbox that makes it difficult to land with its slower Time to Hit. We've sped it up some.|
• Thatch Neutral Blasters: Decreased Time to Hit from 19 to 16.
|2.12.0||Thatch's Side Blasters has an unusually long Recover Time that makes its use too much of a risk.|
• Thatch Side Blasters: Decreased Recover Time from 33 to 28.
|2.10.0||• Thatch Neutral Sword: Increased movement speed during charge from 24 to a range between 24 and 68 when dodge canceled.
• Thatch Neutral Blasters: Increased movement speed during charge from -60 to 60 when dodge canceled.
|2.9.0||• Thatch Down Sword: Updated hurtboxes to better match animation.
• Thatch Side Blasters: Updated hurtboxes to better match animation.
|2.8.0||• Minor color scheme improvements to Cursed Gold Thatch, Steamsmith Scarlet, and Metadev Orion.|
|2.6.2||• Thatch Neutral Sword: When Gravity Canceled, now waits until Recover Time to start falling|
|2.4.0||• Fixed a bug with Thatch Down Blasters that could result in no Force being applied.|
|2.1.0||Putting some extra Recover time on Thatch's Side Sword is a frequently requested change, and it has been made more punishable. That said, Thatch himself is one of the lower winrate characters, and his Force values don't seem to match his 7 Strength. We've dialed those up slightly.|
• Thatch Side Sword: Increased Recover Time; Slightly Increased Force.
• Thatch Down Sword: Increased Force.
|1.18.0||• Thatch Down Sword: Fixed some cases where the target could be dropped before the final hit.|
|1.17.0||Thatch has a reputation for signatures that are hard to dodge through, and punish. We've made a number of his hitboxes a little less generous and more specific to help alleviate these problems, and to create clearer use cases for his less used signatures.|
• Thatch Neutral Sword: Reduced Hitboxes to more closely follow the shape of the shark instead of the entire sword arc and splash - Should make it easier to underspace or punish through during the linger.
• Thatch Side Sword: Slightly reduced hitboxes of initial swing.
• Thatch Neutral Blasters: Slightly reduced Hitbox size and linger of both shots; Increased Recover Time.
• Thatch Side Blasters: Slightly increased Force.
|1.16.0||• Thatch Down Blasters: Fixed some cases where the cannonballs could hit without applying Damage or Force|
|1.15.0||• Hattori Side Sword: Fixed a case where the target could be dropped before the final hit.|
|1.14.0||• Thatch Side Sword: Fixed some cases where a hit target could be dropped before the final hit.|
|1.13.0||• Thatch Side Blasters: Increased Time to Hit; Decreased Force.
•Thatch Side Sword: Decreased Hitbox Size; Increased Recover Time; Slightly Decreased Hit Window; Slightly Decreased Force; Slightly Increased Time to Hit.
|1.12.5||• Thatch Sword Side: Moved some of the Damage to the first swing; Slightly increased Damage; Reduced Force.
• Thatch Blasters Side: Reduced Force.
|1.12.0||• Thatch and Lucien now have unique powers for all Heavy Ground attacks with both weapons.|
|1.11.0||• Hattori Side Sword: Reduced Force.|
• Hattori Down Spear: Increased Time to Hit.
|1.10.1||• Polish pass for Thatch's sword SFX.|
|1.6.2||• Thatch Clear the Decks: Hits target upward with initial hit and leaps into the air for second hit. Slightly increased Force.
• Thatch Broadside: Replaced most of the recover time with cooldown. Can attack quickly after firing, but increased time between consecutive uses. Increased Damage.
|1.6.1||• Added new hit-react to Thatch Clear the Decks; SFX are much faster.|
|1.5.2||• Got rid of fx on the kick in Thatch's special, and lowered opacity of the sword recovery attack.|
|1.4.1||• Castaway Thatch Skin: Crabbie now animates more often!|
|1.0.5||• Fixed disappearing Blasters bombs from Thatch.|
|1.0.0||• Thatch now uses Sword and Blasters.
• Character Specials: New beefed up fx for Bödvar Dragon's Doom, Cassidy High Noon, Thatch Clear the Decks, Gnash Sharp Stick Slam!
|0.4.1||• Thatch Broadside: Increased Force.|
|0.4.0||• Captain Thatch has been added to the roster!|
|LEGENDS OF BRAWLHALLA|
| Bödvar • Cassidy • Orion • Lord Vraxx • Gnash • Queen Nai • Hattori |
Sir Roland • Scarlet • Thatch • Ada • Sentinel • Lucien • Teros
Brynn • Asuri • Barraza • Ember • Azoth • Koji • Ulgrim
Diana • Jhala • Kor • Wu Shang • Val • Ragnir • Cross
Mirage • Nix • Mordex • Yumiko • Artemis