Ulgrim is a high defense dwarven legend who uses the Axe and Rocket Lance as his weapons. He can be unlocked for 5400 gold. Ulgrim sports a mighty white beard, as per his Dwarven heritage, as well as an impressively spiky moustache and eyebrows. He wears dark gray, craftman's clothes made of leather, including a simple gray leather cap that bears the symbol of Mjolnir, Thor's legendary hammer, printed on it's front. Ulgrim's skill at forging fantastical weaponry helps him in the eternal tournament, as he fights with his own creations with the same energy as he put into making them.
Rare materials, wondrous items, and blasting magical furnaces are all in a day's work when you craft for the gods. - Mallhalla purchase description
- 1 Lore
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Moveset
- 4 Strategy
- 5 Skins
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Changelog
- 8 See also
- 9 External links
- 10 References
The Unyielding Anvil, Son of Ivaldi
When fire burns and bellows churn,
Then Hammer rings and anvil sings,
Fierce metal gleams and Maker beams. - Sons of Ivaldi forging song
The Sons of Ivaldi are the original master craftsmen of Asgard. For eons, Ulgrim and his brothers have made mighty artifacts in their mystical forges deep underground.
Thanks to Loki and his gambling ways, other, upstart dwarves were chosen to forge Thor's hammer. Even though they botched the handle, they were still celebrated and stole the Sons' place of prestige. So was born a bitter rivalry that lasted for centuries, both sides constantly trying to outdo the other. But when the comet came crashing down, it was Ulgrim Ivaldson and his brothers that the gods turned to once again.
Only the sons of Ivaldi had the materials to build what was needed. For ages Ulgrim had harvested hundreds of impossible artifacts, a still flaming dragon's heart, the core of a dying star, Aesinite from the Nether realm. Nothing too rare, and no mine too perilous or too far for Ulgrim. The Sons' name was finally restored in a suit of golden armor.
Now he wields his flawless Ivaldi creations in the arena, proving their perfection with each win. When he isn't in the ring he can be found arguing fiestily with Scarlet on her contraption building methods. But always he keeps a glimmering eye on Orion and stays close. Some say out of pride, others say it's concern for what will happen if the armor were ever to fail.
Pfff... Every smith knows the handle is the only part of hammer crafting that takes any real skill anyway. - Ulgrim, arms crossed
Ulgrim sports a mighty white beard, as per his Dwarven heritage, as well as an impressively spiky moustache and eyebrows. He wears a dark gray leather smith's apron over a tan work shirt, reflecting his profession as blacksmith to the gods. He also wears a simple gray leather cap, with straps loose either side of his face, which bears the symbol of Mjolnir, Thor's legendary hammer, printed on it's front. His eyes are perpetually covered in thick orangey red gem-glass goggles that match the gems on his weapons, boots and the bands on his crafted metal gauntlets.
|Rocket Lance |
|Neutral||Ulgrim pulls a second axe from his axe and tosses it spinning straight up into the air. If the spinning axe strikes an opponent, it cuts them rapidly multiple times like a buzz-saw and stuns them as Ulgrim hops up to smash them down and forwards with a chopping blow from the first axe.||An effective anti-air measure, this move can be executed with surprising speed and strikes with enough force to be disorienting.|
|Ulgrim pulls his second axe out and takes two steady steps forward, punctuating each one with a downwards chop from one axe, then another. Carries Ulgrim forward a short distance.||A reliable, straightforward damage-dealing attack. Its range is shorter than most axe signatures, so make sure you're close enough.|
|↓||Ulgrim raises his weapon into the air, then breaks the second axe out, sweeping both axes outwards in a downwards fanning motion, hitting all targets close to him on all sides.||Comes out very fast, useful for catching opponents by surprise, especially if they are trying to get close or to aggressively dodge in or through.|
|Neutral||A narrow, sweeping uppercut from an energy blade extruded from the back of Ulgrim's lance.||Has little forward range, but a higher than usual upwards range. Can be used to reliably follow a ground side-light if performed immediately, at all damage levels.|
|Ulgrim extrudes his rear energy blade, then jabs the point of his lance forward before following it with a horizontal sweep with the rear blade. Carries Ulgrim forward a short distance.||Could be described as a shorter version of Teros' axe side signature, or Diana's bow side signature.|
|↓||CHAINSAW! Ulgrim thrusts the rear of his lance forward and extrudes a buzzing chainsaw from it, holding it in front and slightly above him for a short duration. Charging the attack only makes Ulgrim hold the chainsaw out longer, for as long as the move is charged, though the attack still does more damage the longer it is held out. Anything that runs into the chainsaw is caught against it and thrown back, damaged, ending the attack even if the attack button continues to be held.||This move attacks only when you are charging it, not when you release it – making it possible to change the duration of the chainsaw attack as you see fit. Excellent for confusing opponents and catching them off guard.|
|Weapon||Inputs||What it's useful for||Damage||Stun||Other notes||Example video(s)|
|Rocket Lance||SLight, NHeavy||34.9|
Use of Signatures
Matchup strategy against specific Weapons
- To add strategy text for a Weapon when editing, simply add the name of the weapon after a "|" within the Template brackets on a new line, followed by " = " and then your text (ex: |Spear = Watch out for the ground pound!). If text already exists, use the existing field.
Matchup strategy against specific Legends
- To add strategy text for a Legend when editing, simply add the name of the Legend after a "|" within the Template brackets on a new line, followed by " = " and then your text (ex: |Cassidy = Watch out for her down sig!). If text already exists, use the existing field.
- For a breakdown of level requirements for colors by legend, see Progression. For Legend Skin color variations, see individual Skin pages, above.
| Classic Colors
Unlock at Level 2
Unlock at Level 5
Unlock at Level 10
Unlock at Level 12
Unlock at Level 14
Unlock at Level 16
Unlock at Level 18
Unlock at Level 20
Price: 10000 Gold
(Requires Level 10)
Price: 25000 Gold
(Requires Level 25)
Available only from devs for
contributing to the community.
Price: 2500 Glory
(Requires Level 5)
Price: 1500 Gold
(Only during Valhallentine's)
Price: 1500 Gold
(Only during Summer Heatwave)
| Home Team
Price: 3000 Gold
(Only during Back To School)
Price: 3000 Gold
(Only during Brawlhalloween)
| Winter Holiday|
Price: 1500 Gold
(Only during Brawlhallidays)
- Ulgrim straddles the boundary between Norse and Classical Fantasy themed characters. He would be the third Norse character after Bodvar and Brynn, and the fourth Fantasy character after Teros, Ember and Azoth.
- Ulgrim's bot name is Ultragrim.
- Ulgrim's default weapons are the Bellow's Breath (axe) and the Raging Furnace (rocket lance).
- Ulgrim is the first Rocket Lance legend to not feature a moving charge as his lance side signature and to in fact feature no charging lance signatures at all. This is likely due to the fact that Ulgrim's "lance" is more of a multi-purpose drill rather than an actual lance.
- Ulgrim is likely at least one of the dwarves responsible for Orion's golden armor, due to his protectiveness of it whenever he is near.
- For changes that applied to Legends rather than individual Weapons, see individual Legend pages.
|Click to see changes to this Legend ->|
|2.61.0||• Slightly slowed the fall speed on the following powers so that the correct transition animation would play when touching ground: Ulgrim's Neutral Lance|
|2.57.0||Ulgrim’s Neutral Axe is rewarding but slow as an antiair. We’re speeding it up slightly.|
• Ulgrim Neutral Axe: Decreased Time to Hit from 18 to 17.
|2.52.0||Increased travel speed to push the effective threat farther forward and make the Signature harder to outrun.|
• Ulgrim Side Lance – Slightly increased travel speed throughout the power duration.
|2.50.0||With the introduction of additional game mechanics since Ulgrim’s release, his Side Signatures have fallen behind the curve. We have increased the ease of use of his Side Lance and increased the reward of the Side Axe to better fit current gameplay.|
• Ulgrim Side Lance: Decreased Minimum Charge from 15 to 13; Decreased Recovery from 16 Fixed to 15 Fixed.
• Ulgrim Side Axe: Increased Damage from 24 to 26.
|2.38.0||Dedicated Ulgrim players would argue that he needs no changes, and that he is perfect as he stands. We’ve improved the recovery time on two of Ulgrim’s signatures to make him feel more fluid for players.|
• Ulgrim Neutral Axe: Decreased Fixed Recover time on miss from 9 to 8.
• Ulgrim Down Lance: Decreased Fixed Recover time on miss from 11 to 10.
|2.17.0||Most Axe characters compensate for the low mobility of the base kit by having a decent amount of travel to their Side Signature. Ulgrim's close-in Side Axe made him feel comparatively static, so we've increased the leap distance on his first swing in exchange for some Damage.|
• Ulgrim Side Axe: Increased distance traveled before first swing; Slightly increased Hitbox width of first swing towards Ulgrim; Reduced Damage from 28 to 24.
• Ulgrim Side Axe: Changed FX timing to match animation/hitboxes.
|2.13.1||Ulgrim is the least used legend at all levels. We're starting with some conservative speeding up of his Down Lance Recover Time to allow for easier punishes.|
• Ulgrim Down Lance: Decreased Fixed Recover Time on miss from 34 to 31.
|2.10.0||• Ulgrim Down Lance: Increased movement speed during charge from a range between -22 and 30 to a range between -22 and 45 when dodge canceled|
|2.9.1||• Made adjustments to Ulgrim’s Neutral lance in world effect to eliminate blank frame between the swoosh switching from on the character to in world.|
• Fixed a bug where Ulgrim’s Neutral Axe and Down Lance would repeatedly play the hit sound. (Credit Vonflare)
|2.9.0||• Ulgrim - The Unyielding Anvil, Son of Ivaldi has entered Brawlhalla!|
|LEGENDS OF BRAWLHALLA|
| Bödvar • Cassidy • Orion • Lord Vraxx • Gnash • Queen Nai • Hattori |
Sir Roland • Scarlet • Thatch • Ada • Sentinel • Lucien • Teros
Brynn • Asuri • Barraza • Ember • Azoth • Koji • Ulgrim
Diana • Jhala • Kor • Wu Shang • Val • Ragnir • Cross
Mirage • Nix • Mordex • Yumiko • Artemis • Caspian • Sidra